Hurricane Irma Preparation
Hurricane image from space
With Hurricane Irma approaching now is the time to prepare. It only takes one storm to change your life and community. Based on the current trajectory of Hurricane Irma, the primary impact area is Florida and potentially South Carolina and North Carolina.
Even areas well away from the coastline can be threatened by dangerous flooding, destructive winds and tornadoes from these storms.
Determine Your Risk
Hurricanes bring many hazards to U.S. coastlines and inland areas, including storm surge along the coast, inland flooding due to heavy rainfall, tornadoes, strong wind, rip currents and large waves.
Develop an Evacuation Plan
Find out today if you live in a hurricane evacuation zone. Plan where you’ll go and how you would get there. Leave immediately if ordered to evacuate and be sure to plan for your pets.
Assemble Disaster Supplies
Get your supplies before the hurricane hits. Many stores are experiencing shortages. Have enough food and water for each person for at least one week. Be sure to fill your prescriptions and have medicine on hand. Radios, batteries and phone chargers are also must haves. Gas up your vehicle and extra cash on hand.
Get Insurance Checkup
Check in with your insurance agent well beforehand, remember that flood insurance must be obtained separately. Prepare your home/vehicles according to your policy, and know where your insurance documents are located – take them with you if you evacuate. Visit floodsmart.gov for more information.
Strengthen Your Home
There is a lot you can do around your home to help protect it from the strong winds that come with hurricanes. Well ahead of the approaching storm, trim trees on your property, shop for approved window coverings, collect loose outdoor items, secure all doors on you property, and find a safe location for your vehicle.
Help Your Neighbor
Many people rely on the assistance of neighbors before and after hurricanes. Help your neighbors collect the supplies they’ll need before the storm. Assist them with evacuation if ordered to do so or check on them after it’s safe for you to head outside.
Complete your Written Plan
Writing down your plan will help you avoid mistakes when faced with an emergency and ensure everyone in your home is prepared for the next storm.
411 on Carpet Cleaning
411 on Carpet Cleaning
Daily, we use our carpet, not even thinking about how dirty it is. Our carpets are like filters, trapping dust, gases, animal hair, and other soils. There are many preventative things you may do to keep your carpet clean, such as, regular vacuuming, spot removal, and having your carpets professionally cleaned.
Here are the top reasons to have carpets cleaned year-round:
- It prolongs the life of the carpeting. Cleaning your carpet regularly using the extraction method can increase the life of carpets significantly.
- Having your carpets cleaned protects indoor air quality. Carpets trap airborne pollutants.
- It makes your carpet easier to maintain. When carpets are regularly cleaned, vacuuming will remove most dry soils.
- Cleaning your carpet will remove spots and stains. As with other soils, spots and stains can attract more soiling. Removing them promptly protects carpeting from damage.
- Moist soiling of carpets can result in the buildup of several unhealthy contaminants. Cleaning your carpets prevents buildup of allergens and bacteria.
- It will enhance the appearance of your home or business.
- It will make your work environment feel cleaner.
- Regular carpet cleaning makes carpeting look and feel clean and fresh.
- It removes dust mites and bedbugs that may have found a home in your carpet.
- If you have a warranty, it will maintain your carpet warranty. Most carpet warranties require that carpets be cleaned using the extraction method usually every 12-18 months.
SERVPRO of Newberry and Laurens Counties offers professional cleaning that can address moderate and heavy soil conditions in your carpets.
Dirt builds up in layers, and when a carpet looks dirty you are only seeing that dirt at the tips of the fibers. More dirt is below the surface down near the base, causing damage to the carpet. When a carpet is saturated with dirt, the soil has penetrated crevices and has become firmly lodged. We will get the job done right!
We offer a range of specialized cleaning methods:
- Bonnet cleaning: A less aggressive method for short piled carpets.
- Hot water extraction: A deeper cleaning method for all carpet types.
- Deluxe precondition and rinse: Helps restore deeply soiled areas.
- Showcase Premier Cleaning: The most thorough cleaning method in the industry.
- Dry cleaning: When color-fastness is an issue.
For a cleaning backed by state-of-the-art equipment, over forty years of experience and professionals trained to the highest standards, call SERVPRO of Newberry and Laurens Counties today!
Does your Newberry or Laurens County Home Have A Mold Problem?
Miicroscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – SERVPRO of Newberry and Laurens Counties 803-276-0290 or 864-833-4411
10 Tips for Fire Safety
- Watch your cooking
- Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling, or broiling food. If you must leave, even for a short time, turn off the stove.
- Give space heaters space
- Keep fixed and portable space heaters at least 3 feet from anything that can burn.
- Turn off heaters when you leave the room or go to sleep.
- Smoke outside
- Ask smokers to smoke outside. Have you sturdy, deep ashtrays for smokers.
- Keep matches and lighters out of reach
- Keep matches and lighters up high and out of children, preferably in a locked cabinet.
- Inspect electrical cords
- Replace cords that are cracked or damaged, have broken plugs, or have loose connections.
- Install smoke alarms
- Install smoke alarms on every level of your home, inside bedrooms, and outside sleeping areas.
- Interconnect smoke alarms throughout the home. When one sounds they all sound.
- Have a home fire escape plan
- Make a home fire escape plan and practice it at least twice a year.
- Be careful when using candles
- Keep candles at least 1 food from anything that can burn. Blow out candles when you leave the room or go to sleep
- Test smoke alarms
- Test smoke alarms at least once a month and replace batteries once a year or when the alarm “chirps” to tell you the battery is low. Replace any smoke alarm that is more than 10 years old.
- Install sprinklers
- If you are building or remodeling your home, consider installing a home fire sprinkler system. If moving into an apartment or condominium building, make sure common areas and individual apartments are sprinklered. Sprinklers can limit a fire and may even extinguish it in less time than it would take the fire department to arrive.
A Picture is Worth A Thousand Words
I attached the note and drawing my son did for me. Thanks for all the help with our situation. Just because it is your "job" and how you make a living doesn't mean you have to take extra steps to help people, but we definitely see the work you and you guys have done. So, THANKS A MILLION!
SERVPRO Is the Best!
When you’ve had a plumbing disaster of epic proportions, there are only four words you want to hear. As I was about to dissolve in the three inches of standing water in my office, teary-eyed and shaking, SERVPRO of Newberry said those four words to me: “We can fix that.”
The upstairs toilet had not leaked, but spewed, through the night. The rug in the upstairs bedroom “squished” when you walked on it, and the floor was covered with water. The bedroom was directly above my office, and downstairs I discovered worse damage. It seemed to be raining from the ceiling fan, and rain was pouring from the corner. My heart sank. Old houses are hard, and we have an older home, built in 1924. The molding around the ceiling was plaster, not wood, and it could not be replaced. The wall was plaster, too, again not easily replaced.
We called SERVPRO, fearing the worst. Still, I presented our “best case” scenario: could the house be cleaned up in a way that respected its history and the craftsmanship with which it was built. Essentially, we wanted the wall and the molding to be restored, not replaced with new materials.
Most folks would not have cared about maintaining the integrity of an old house. It would have been much easier to give us bad news, dry out the house in a couple of days, and move on. Mr. Kitchens did not choose the easy road: he listened, he researched, he monitored every day to check on how things were coming along.
We had called the plumber to fix the problem with the toilet, and the plumber said it was. After two weeks, though, Mr. Kitchens said we still had moisture in the wall. We called another plumber—and discovered the problem had not been addressed. Only SERVPRO of Newberry would have been so thorough and so caring about its customers, they would follow up and make sure our molding and our walls were protected from further damage.
SERVPRO does more than deal with plumbing disasters. They’ve also cleaned rugs for us, even eliminated pet odors and hair. “Great job,” is all I can say.
SERVPRO of Newberry knows what they’re doing. They are professionals who listen, who care, who go the extra mile to make sure the job is done promptly and beautifully. Outstanding people, outstanding work. I would recommend SERVPRO of Newberry to anyone--even to my mother—and that means they’re the very best I know. If you want further details, feel free to call me. 803-276-6197.
24 Hour Emergency Water Damage Service
Title: Newberry and Laurens Counties 24 Hour Emergency Water Damage Service
Category: Water Damage
Photo Caption: SERVPRO of Newberry and Laurens Counties provides 24 hour fire and water damage restoration service in Newberry and Laurens Counties
SERVPRO of Newberry and Laurens Counties is available 24 hours a day for water emergencies, large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
We Answer the Phone Ready to Help
Call Today - (803) 276-0290 or (864)833-4411
We understand that when you call us, you may be feeling confused, stressed, and vulnerable. You need an expert to guide you through this crisis. SERVPRO of Newberry and Laurens Counties has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time. We specialize in water damage restoration—in fact, it's the cornerstone of our business.
What to Expect
When you call, we will ask several questions regarding your water damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO Professionals may be needed.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:
- Your name and contact information
- Your insurance information (if applicable)
- The street address of the water-damaged home or business
- When did the flooding or water damage occur?
- What caused the water damage (if known)?
- Is there electricity available (on-site)?
About SERVPRO of Newberry and Laurens Counties
SERVPRO of Newberry and Laurens Counties specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.