Fire up the Grill this Summer - Not your House
As we all begin to kick off summer for the Memorial Holiday weekend – it’s is a good time to talk about Burgers – Hotdogs -Grills and safety!
Three out of five households own a gas grill – unfortunately, about 8,900 home fires occur each year as a result of gas grills. If you have a grill master in your home, they may think they have everything under control but its more often an equipment malfunction that causes a fire to happen, more so if you have not done much grilling over the winter months. Propane gas, fire dry air and dry grass can cook up a disaster you were not planning on serving for your weekend cookout.
Simple Precautions can save your home from a fire disaster. Always grill outside and keep the grill away from your house, deck and patio furniture. Check your propane tank hose for leaks. Keep your grill trays cleaned regularly. Always keep your pets and children away from the grill. Remember grills are not an oven, you cannot leave them unattended. Stay safe and enjoy these long awaited summer nights!
Be Prepared - Have a Plan
Warm fires feel nice in the cold weather but remember that a house fire can strike at any time and almost out of nowhere. There many ways to prevent house fires from happening to you but he best way is to be prepared and have a plan! Have your chimney cleaned and inspected yearly before fire season. Never leave your dryer running when you are away from your home and never leave your stove unattended - especially when cooking with oil. Test you smoke detectors monthly. Be aware of electrical problems and faulty outlets. Store any combustible items in a well-ventilated area and in proper containers. We here at SERVPRO of Newberry and Laurens Counties specialize in restoring your home to preloss conditions and making any damage "Like it never even happened." We are here for you!
Living Room Fires in a Laurens SC Property
Protect Your Home in Laurens SC From Fire Damage Caused by Chimneys and Candles
Although fires in living and family rooms are less frequent than those in more hazardous kitchen areas, they can grow to large sizes more readily and more often than those in kitchens. Many living room fires start with an accident in the fireplace, when a candle is knocked over, or when an electronic device comes into contact with water or otherwise severely malfunctions. Regardless of their cause, these fires quickly find sufficient fuel in the surrounding area. If the fire is not extinguished quickly, it can create some of the biggest restoration projects SERVPRO finds in residential developments.
How They Start
Fire damage in Laurens living rooms typically starts from one of three sources: the hearth, candles, or electronic malfunctions. Fireplace accidents are easily created if proper safeguards such as containment bars are not in place, and can produce heavy amounts of smoke in addition to larger blazes. Clogged or unclean chimneys lead to many flare-ups and roof fires. Candle fires are often relatively benign if they start while someone is in the room, but can sometimes start silently when the room is left unattended, blossoming into a large disaster. Electrical fires usually require some accident on a resident's part to start up, so while those can become large very quickly, they are typically hit with fire extinguishers before they get out of hand.
Problems Faced in Restorations
The main challenge SERVPRO faces in restoring these fires are in their size. Living rooms may contain fabric carpeting and furniture, flammable bookcases, and numerous small objects that quickly spread fires out from their origin. Also, when dealing with hearths, large volumes of smoke may present additional hurdles. Before we begin any work beyond standard mitigation, we develop a clear action plan to tackle significant problems that arise. Through our expert training and superior equipment, we can deal with fires of any size given time.
SERVPRO of Newberry and Laurens Counties has battled many fires since its founding. If your home has taken fire damage, call us anytime at (864) 833-4411 or (803) 276-0290
Fire Safety Tips
Fire safety is a very important thing to be aware of, and everyone should know the basic safety procedures to prepare for a possible fire and what to do if a fire occurs.
Preparing for Home Fires
- Install smoke alarms on every level of your home.
- Test smoke alarms every month to make sure they are working properly.
- Plan and discuss a fire escape plan with your family.
During a Fire
- Escape immediately using the best route.
- If a door handle or door feels warm, do not open it and get out of the home using a different route.
- Once you are out to the building call 911.
- Never go back inside for anything.
- If your clothes catch on fire: STOP, DROP, and ROLL!
- If you're stuck inside the house, cover any area where smoke might get in and find a way to signal help that you are still in the house. Do this by either calling 911 and telling them, or find a flashlight or phone light and hold it up to a window.
These are just a few of the basic rules in dealing with home fires. If you experience a home fire, SERVPRO of West Greenville County is here to make this hard situation much more bearable.
Call us at 803-276-0290 864-833-4411 if you need help restoring your home after fire damage!
October is Fire Prevention Month
The U.S. Fire Administration reports that fires kill more than 4,000 Americans each year and approximately injure 20,000 more. U.S. fire departments respond to nearly 2 million fires each year, with three-quarters of them occurring in residences.
This month, make sure your home is protected from (and your family is prepared for) a fire. Here are 10 simple tips to help you avoid fires and reduce the risk of injury should one occur:
1) Smoke Alarms – These are still a very important addition to your home. Smoke alarms are widely available and inexpensive. Install a smoke alarm on every level of your home and test it monthly.
2) Prevent Electrical Fires – Don’t overload circuits or extension cords. Cords and wires should never be placed under rugs or in high traffic areas. Avoid loose electrical connections by checking the fit of the plug in the wall outlet. If the plug loosely fits, inspect the outlet right away. A poor connection between the plug and the outlet can cause overheating and can start a fire in minutes.
3) Keep Plugs Safe – Unplug all appliances when not in use. Follow the manufacturer’s safety precautions and use your senses to spot any potential disasters. If a plug is overheating, smells strange, shorts out or sparks – the appliance should be shut off immediately, then replaced or repaired.
4) Alternate Heaters – Make sure there is ample space around any portable heating unit. Anything that could catch fire should be at least three feet away. Inspect your chimney annually and use fire screens to help keep any fires in the fireplace.
5) Fire Safety Sprinklers – When combined with working smoke alarms, home fire sprinklers greatly increase your chance of surviving a fire. Sprinklers are affordable and they can increase property value and lower insurance rates.
6) Create An Escape Route – Create and practice your escape plan with your family from every room in the house. Practice staying low to the floor and checking for hot doors using the back of your hand. It’s just like a routine school fire drill – but in your home.
7) Position Appliances Carefully – Try to keep TV sets, kitchen and other appliances away from windows with curtains. If there is a wiring problem, curtains can spread a fire quickly. Additionally, keeping your appliances away from water sources (like rain coming in from windows) can help prevent wiring damage which can lead to a fire.
8) Clean Dryer Vents – Clothes dryers often start fires in residential areas. Clean the lint filter every time you start a load of clothes to dry or after the drying cycle is complete. Make sure your exhaust duct is made of metal tubing and not plastic or foil. Clean the exhaust duct with a good quality dryer vent brush to prevent blockage & check for lint build up behind the dryer at least twice a year.
9) Be Careful Around the Holidays – If you fill your home with lights during the holiday season, keep them away from anything that can easily catch fire. Check all of your lights prior to stringing them up and dispose of anything with frayed or exposed wires.
10) Conduct Regular Inspections – Check all of your electronic equipment and wiring at least once a month. Taking a little time to do this each month can really pay off.
Following these simple tips could potentially save your life or the life of a loved one. Pass this list on to your friends and family and make this fire prevention month count!